Games at Home
Ways you can support your child at home
- Play a game – hunt the word – hide words in sand or flour or around your room, set a timer, hold up the word that you want them to hunt for, and ‘go’! Repeat the word and encourage them to say –‘I am looking for the word ‘the’.
- Play ‘Pairs’, turning over two words at a time trying to find a matching pair. This is especially helpful with the tricky words: the the, to to, no no, go go, I I
- Write the word twice. Cut one word up and muddle the letters. Put them back to read the word again.
- Make up actions for words to act as a memory aid.
- Use magnetic letters to copy and re-make a work.
- Read with and to your child regularly. The link below takes you to a video that included useful tips for reading at home.