The Cornerstones Philosophy: Engage, Develop, Innovate, Express
To further enrich our whole school curriculum at St. Patrick's Catholic Primary School, and to integrate a more thematic approach, we have joined the Cornerstones Curriculum family. This is a nationally recognised approach for delivering 'outstanding' and truly 'enriched' learning opportunities.
It's the Cornerstones Philosophy to 'bring the curriculum to life'. Each stage provides opportunities for children to learn and respond in a variety of ways, keeping projects flexible and able to follow children's interests and needs.
Below are the core principles of each stage.
- Start with a memorable, first-hand experience
- Begin observations, research and asking questions
- Fully engage with the new topic
- Improve knowledge and understanding
- Develop and practise new skills
- Explore, make and do
- Apply skills and knowledge in real life contexts
- Solve real or imagined problems through learning
- Gain inspiration from creative activities
- Become performers, experts and informers
- Link learning back to starting points
- Share and celebrate achievements